Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rohde's 2010

Didn't get all the Christmas letters out this year that I wanted to, but I figured this would be the next best thing.


December 2010
Dear Family and Friends,

Well, here we are again, updating you on the happenings of the Rohde Family. I decided that maybe it would be better to let everyone tell you what’s been going on with themselves. So they each contributed their own synopsis. Here’s what they had to say…

REESE: This last year I had fun playing soccer on a team called the Glowsticks. I am having fun at school. I am in 1st grade and I like reading and recess the best, ‘cause we never ever have to put our heads down in reading, but in math we sometimes do. I read really good. Everything is fun at church, too. I’ll be 7 in March. I love playing the x-box and the Wii, riding my bike, and playing with friends. I have fun with my siblings and my mom and dad. I have fun at Christmas and I have fun with all my friends at my school.

ISAAC: I like football to watch and to play. And I like to open presents. I like when it’s Christmas. I love to play soccer with my brother. We can play cars. We can play the Wii and we can ride our bikes and play with friends. At school we have to put our heads down when we do Kindergarten and we’re too loud. I go to preschool at Cat and the Fiddle. We read books. My friends are Wesley, Curtis, Josh, and Austin and me. I turned 5 on December 5th and I had a fun birthday party.

MEGAN is AWESOME! She did awesome stuff. Although I am not allowed to write that, so, this year I did a lot of 4-H projects. I played softball again. I went on a lot of fun vacations. I have my own room still, that I enjoy, although sometimes I get lonely. This year at school I have the same two teachers that I had last year. I have Mrs. Syverson and Ms. O’Dell. My mom is coaching my basketball team again. I enjoy her coaching my team a lot. Last summer we got a huge swimming pool. I think I exaggerated when I said huge. Although our pool was very cold I’m crazy enough to dive into the pool on a fairly cold night. That was the night we drained it and our yard turned into worm heaven. We had our Rohde reunion this summer and it was also very fun. I had to get a space maintainer and have to get two teeth pulled. I turned 11 in October and I am still enjoying myself. This year has been GREAT!!!

GEORGIA: My favorite things that happened this year were: 1. Basketball season and my mom coaching my team. 2. Math at school (I really like math!) 3. My family reunion. I have a lot more but I can’t list it all. I also remember August 12th especially. The reason that I remember it the most is because it was my 9th birthday. My birthday was fun, but the hard thing was to find out what my favorite part of it was. My life here on earth is…I can’t explain it because it’s that good. My life here on earth is the best thing I could ever imagine. Being in church is better than anything I could ever ask for. Being born in this family is, well, love and how I think I always imagine it in heaven. I love how we always get to meet new people at school every day.

KAITLIN: This year was really great for me. This was my first year in the Young Women’s program at church. It was very fun to meet new girls. In the spring I got to go with them to Salt Lake City for the General Young Women’s meeting. It was really fun for me to see the sights. The conference was a very memorable experience. I am now the president of my Beehive class. In April I got braces, which aren’t as bad as I thought they would be. I graduated from 6th grade on the honor roll, and graduated from the D.A.R.E. program. I enjoyed going on vacations with my family over the summer and hanging out with my friends. In the fall I started Jr. High. I played soccer and my team won the division championship. I played a new position, called chase, and really enjoyed it. In November I turned 13 years old and enjoyed having my Papa Kent (my mom’s dad) here for my birthday. I enjoy listening to music and will start training for my club soccer team in January. This year has been awesome for me!!!

Ken sent me a couple of “talking points” and told me to “fill in the words”. So here are Ken’s thoughts on his year, in my words (Mostly. His words will be italicized). He was called into the Bishopric of our ward in January. It’s been an interesting year for him trying to be a “leader”. I think he’s done a great job and it has brought him out of his shell a little around people at church. Besides he’s awfully handsome to look at in his suit sitting at the front of the chapel each Sunday. ;o) He misses teaching Sunday School and nursery which he feels are much better in comparison to the Bishopric.
He’s still doing cybersecurity at work. It is often frustrating to him, the bureaucracy and political junk that goes on, plus the sheer idiocy of those in charge, but he’s still doing great work and is greatly respected by co-workers and even the “higher-ups” in the company. They moved into a new building this year. Yippee. (Ken only uses the word Yippee when he’s being sarcastic.)
Did some real drag-racing this year after buying real drag tires for my car. I finally relented, since I’m competitive enough that I couldn’t stand seeing him lose, which he most often did with his regular tires. The family followed him all over Idaho and even to Montana to watch him in his races. He did really good for just getting started in the sport and he just keeps getting better. Also got to go see a professional event at the Las Vegas Nationals which was amazing.
Ken still loves flying RC airplanes and does it whenever he can when the weather is nice. Lost my new airplane (got last Christmas) in the river. Two different fishermen found parts of it and called the flying club president, so we got back the pieces. Stinks because nothing was salvageable. Now questioning that hobby...
He’s finally grown his hair out, well, at least longer than his thirteen years of buzz cut and I love it!

MIRIAM: This year has flown by for me in its usual speedy fashion. Numerous injuries and medical conditions have made my year a bit more interesting and are changing the way I eat and exercise. I have learned a new appreciation of “normal” life. I have to severely limit my chocolate and goodie intake and can I tell you how HARD that is! :o)
My kiddos keep me busy, but are so wonderful! I love being their mom. I feel like I’m in a great stage of life. My oldest is just barely 13 and my youngest just turned 5, so I don’t have any babies or toddlers to demand so much time and energy and I don’t have any teenagers yet to make me want to rip my hair out. It’s a great in-between stage! Ironically, I feel even busier than I did when my kids were little, probably because once school’s out, I’m basically a taxi driver.
I am coaching a basketball team for Megan and one for Georgia. We’re having fun. I was called back into the Primary Presidency in our ward, so once again I get to work with the young children at church.
I haven’t been doing as much at the school this year. I think I was pretty burned out last year, so I’ll only help out a little this year and then start up again next year when Isaac goes into kindergarten. Once all of my kids get into school full time I’m hoping to devote more time to writing. I already read way too much for the good of my household chores, but it’s my one vice and I love it!
We give thanks at this time for all we have and all our many blessings. We are grateful to know the gospel of our Savior and His great plan of happiness. We hope you and yours have had a wonderful and prosperous year and that the Lord will bless you in the year to come. May the Lord be with you now at Christmas and always!

With Love,
The Rohde Family

4 comments:

Donna Ryan said...

Enjoyed your "letter." thanks for sharing. I sent ours, right?

Laura said...

Very fun Christmas letter! Sounds like a busy year. :) Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year, Rohdes!!

Oh what the Hale (like we haven't heard that before) said...

Beautiful family!

Tina said...

Wow your family has gotten so grown up! I guess ours has too :) Hope that all is well, pop over and see whats up with us from time to time. WE sure miss you guys!