Kaitlin entered a national essay contest sponsored by the VFW. She won at our local post level, then at the district level, and will be attending the department level mid-winter conference in Boise in January to see if she goes any further. I am incredibly proud of her, especially since I love anything patriotic. The theme this year was "Are you proud of your country?"
When America first became a nation, our founding fathers were creating a nation that could not have been imagined at that time in history. The United States is now a country that continues to help those in need across the world, has equal rights for all of its citizens, and is free. I am proud to be an American!
First of all, I am proud to be an American because of the amazing relief efforts we provide to countries in need. When Haiti suffered from a catastrophic earthquake of a 7.0 magnitude, America was able to provide aid to the Haitians. Since Haiti did not have the money, resources, or power to aid themselves, the support we provided was essential to their country’s recovery. Many more would have died if not for what we Americans were able to provide to them. Also, when Japan was hit with a cataclysmic tsunami, care was provided to the survivors. The powerful tsunami and nuclear disaster that hit the Asian country was devastating and unexpected. As soon as it was possible, America rushed to help the victims of this catastrophe.
I am also proud to be an American because of our equal rights. Though our country has not always had equal rights, determined and courageous citizens of America have fought for them for everyone. In the early nineteen hundreds, the fight was for equal rights for women. In the mid-nineteen hundreds, we were fighting for equal rights for African Americans and other races. We have been able to gain equal rights for all citizens of American through the years. I am proud to have the right to vote when I turn eighteen, along with my peers, no matter our sex or race.
Finally, I am proud to be an American because our country was founded on freedom, and in this we are unique. When the American people accepted the Declaration of Independence in seventeen seventy six, we were accepting and ensuring our independence and freedom. We broke with Britain because we wanted “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” As John Fitzgerald Kennedy said, “The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it.”
I am proud to be an American citizen. We are dedicated to the preservation of life, freedom, and equality for all people. I love the land of the free and home of the brave!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment