Monday, May 11, 2009

St. Anthony 100 ft. Drag Races



On Saturday I took the kids north to St. Anthony to watch Ken in the 100ft. drag races put on by the Midnight Muscle Car Club. He'd been there for a few hours by the time we got there and was enjoying himself.

One great thing about Ken is that he does things for fun and is not very competitive (like I am). He's got a very fast car (his '06 Ford Mustang GT with a supercharger) but he hasn't convinced me to let him spend the money on real racing tires and it makes a big difference.

"Slicks", as they are called, give much more grip and traction (why they call them slicks when that's what they do is beyond me...). Anyway, Ken's boss and a good friend of his (and his little boy) came up to watch and I was told (good-naturedly)by his boss that I needed to let him buy slicks. I told him that they should take up a collection at work or let work become his sponsor and then he could get them. :) We both had a good chuckle over this.

The funny thing is that my competitive side agreed with his boss completely after seeing him lose his races. Luckily, my practical side is now stronger than my competitive side and I managed to quash the urge to run out and buy him some. :) Plus the fact that he still seemed to have a good time and NOT ONCE has he ever nagged me about getting them. I think it may be a secret plot using reverse psychology... :)

Here's some pictures from the event. There's pictures of the kiddos watching, and hanging with their favorite driver, interspersed with pictures of some of the cool cars that raced. There were some REALLY LOUD cars there, a few trucks, a couple of motorcycles, and two snowmobiles on tracked wheels (those were particularly loud). There was even a genuine, straight from Ford, racing Mustang that is one of only 50 built and probably cost at least $75K!! (It's the white mustang pictured below) It was only there for show, luckily... :)

It didn't really hold the girls' attention for very long, but the boys seemed to really like it, except for the noise factor. I finally convinced Isaac he could cover his own ears and we didn't have to do it for him...after all, who was covering my ears when I covered his? :) I kept reminding Reese to cover his ears after he told me, "It's not loud for me!" This is the kid who is terrified of the ocean because of the noise of the surf! I thought it was fun, though next time I'm bringing ear plugs all around. :) Enjoy the pictures, and take note of my incredibly cool looking, not to mention great looking, drag racer!

















PS--There were a number of women drivers and they did really well. Who knows, maybe when I get my "clutch" knee better I may have to give it a go. Ken has always called me "Andretti"... :)

1 comment:

Jenni and fam said...

Those are some seriously SWEET looking cars!! I love the souped up racing look they have. That looked like it would have been fun to watch. All the mothers day things you got were so cute too!
Ryan spoke in church on Mothers day. He had his mom come. He has always made a point to say that Mothers day is about HIS mom because she is his mom. (I am always quick to throw in that ALL mothers should be honored. And I am the mother of his children for crying out loud.) Well, he surprised me and actually talked about his mom first but then he took a few minutes and said a bunch of really nice things about me. ( I hate to be the center of attention so I admit I was embarrassed to be talked about but it was so nice.) Its just nice to hear that you are appreciated!!