Sunday, November 2, 2008

5...4...3...2...1...


BLASTOFF!!! Each year our elementary school's fifth graders do what they call Blastoff. For over a week they have special training learning about the duties of astronauts and the functions of NASA and the space shuttle. During this time they decide which of the jobs in these groups they would like to pursue. They pick three jobs they hope to have in order of preference and then have to interview for these jobs. Kaitlin wanted to be either the Commander, a meteorologist, and I've forgotten what the other one was. Much to her delight (and my "proud momma moments"!) she earned the Commander position! I talked to her teacher a few days after her "appointment" and her teacher couldn't say enough about how great she was doing. (I know I'm bragging, but I can't help it.) She was impressed by her natural leadership skills and how she was able to help each group by giving helpful suggestions rather than doing their jobs for them. She said she kept everyone on track, but was a cheerful and positive leader.

I knew she could handle the responsibility and that she'd do a great job, I just wish some of her cheerful and positive leadership would transfer over to the way she interacts with her younger siblings. :) I shouldn't complain, she's really not too bad with them, but there has been a lot of bickering around here lately.

Anyway, here's some pictures of our Commander Kaitlin during the Blastoff. Oh, I forgot to mention that they get to go to an alien planet (another elementary) and teach the aliens (the school's 2nd graders) all about the shuttle and space missions. Sounds cool, huh!



Kaitlin receiving her certificate of recognition as Commander of this Space Mission Blastoff.



Kaitlin showing off her radio.



Kaitlin with her co-pilot, Grady.



Kaitlin waiting near the shuttle with her teacher, Mrs. Smith, until she gets to start the boarding process where she checks the badges of each of her crew as they board.



As soon as they boarded, one of the astronauts taped a hand drawn American flag in the rear window of the shuttle. That gave me warm fuzzies!!



You can't tell by the still image, but after the crew and the crowd counted down this lucky bus, I mean, shuttle driver got to waste about $20 of gas by flooring it.



They're off to their alien planet!! Luckily, their shuttle returned safely less than an hour later with everyone happy about a successful and exciting launch!

No comments: