Monday, July 14, 2008

Random Facts about Random Me

My old college roommate, Julie, made a list of 105 things about herself on her blog and challenged me to do the same after I tagged her. It was fun to read her list when she did it, so I'll give it a go. Besides, I'm always up for a challenge...Are you? I'd love to see more of these lists!

1. My eyes have gotten more greenish hazel than just plain brown over the last decade.

2. I've had many nicknames over the years including; Love Bug, Timex, G.A. (short for Gorilla Arms, named after a basketball drill), Mir, Mirs, Mir-Babe, Chicken George, Coach Hammy, Mom, Mommy, Princess, and probably numerous other not so nice ones from people who don't like me. (though I can't imagine someone not liking me, how naive, huh?!)

3. I started playing AYSO soccer in 1st grade.

4. The second team that I played on was called "The Grasshoppers".

5. I also played on a team called "The Ravens".

6. I was asked multiple times to play on private club teams, but always refused since I wouldn't play on Sundays.

7. I went to Sandia High School and our mascot was the Matadors.

8. I can still sing the fight song. "We're gonna fight, fight, fight, for SHS..."

9. I was voted best legs on the varsity basketball team when I was a sophomore, by the drill team, of all people!

10. I didn't have a very good shooting average in H.S. b-ball.

11. I was fairly consistent though with 8-14 points a game and at least that many rebounds.

12. I was a tom-boy until half-way through college.

13. I permed my hair so much in the late 80's and early 90's that one hairdresser told me that I had straw for hair.

14. I was not very self confident growing up. (No thanks to the hair.)

15. I can name all of my teachers in elementary school, most of them for middle school, and most of them for high school. But I can't remember what day it is today.

16. I quite playing soccer my junior year of high school and started playing volleyball.

17. I started to play soccer again 13 years later on a women's league team and still play each spring.

18. Thanks to my athletic career I've got really bad knees (one's even arthritic!)

19. I was the only walk-on to make the University of New Mexico's women's basketball team in the 1994-95 season.

20. I had to quit before playing my first game.

21. I graduated from Ricks Jr. College with an associates degree in Family Science.

22. I changed my major from Elementary Ed.

23. I attended two colleges in Albuquerque, changing my major from family studies to communications to general studies.

24. I never did finish my bachelor's.

25. I met my husband for the first time in late February of 1996.

26. Our first date was March 1, 1996.

27. We got engaged on April 20th on the grounds of the Mesa, Arizona temple.

28. We were married on June 28, 1996.

29. Many of my best friends over the years have been named Jenny.

30. I love to read and I'm a fast reader.

31. I do not like seafood.

32. <--This is my favorite number. It was my basketball jersey number!

33. My wedding colors were sunset orange and hunter green.

34. I think my favorite color now is red.

35. I love to wear black.

36. I loved to bake for a while, but not so much anymore.

37. I am the 7th of 8 children.

38. I lost my mom to cancer in 1995.

39. I still feel cheated out of that relationship.

40. I am no longer afraid of public speaking.

41. In fact, for a while I considered being a motivational speaker.

42. I love to write.

43. In middle school I was editor of our school newspaper.

44. I have over 150 type-written pages of a historical romance novel written.

45. It's been so long since I worked on it, I've totally forgotten the story line.

46. I relate well to young adults.

47. I can be incredibly sarcastic.

48. I try my hardest not to be unkind to anyone.

49. I can find something good about every person I meet.

50. I do not hold grudges.

51. The exception to all of these rules is if someone harms or is rude to my children.

52. I then become a mother bear.

53. I find that I can express a point much better in writing than with spoken words.

54. I have been in the presidency of young women, relief society, and Primary, in that order.

55. When I was called to each of these positions I laughed at the bishop.

56. Especially when I was called to be Primary President.

57. I didn't think I'd like working with children that young.

58. But I loved it.

59. Some of the greatest friendships I've ever formed are with the members of my primary presidency.

60. I sing alto or second soprano.

61. I refuse to sing any solos.

62. I cannot read music.

63. I have to follow a stronger singer when I sing.

64. I've never liked my complexion.

65. I consider myself a good driver.

66. When I was pregnant with my first child, my husband could rest his ear on my belly and hear her heartbeat.

67. My mid-wife couldn't believe it, so she tried for herself and she heard it. She wanted to call in all the other mid-wives to hear.

68. My house is never clean.

69. I am getting better at de-cluttering.

70. My least favorite household jobs are dishes and bathrooms.

71. At one time I had a deal with my husband that if I continued to cook good dinners, he'd clean up the dishes.

72. He's conveniently forgotten our bargain, and I resent that.

73. I grew up weeding a huge garden, picking all sorts of fruit off our fruit trees, and helping can all sorts of things.

74. Right now we have one bean plant growing in our back yard and I hope it survives. The watermelon didn't.

75. I love to eat, especially chocolate and ice cream.

76. I have a hard time drinking very much. Water makes me nauseated.

77. I always want to lose weight, but can't stop eating what I like to eat.

78. I am anemic and take iron every day.

79. I love to watch pro soccer, football, and volleyball on TV. Can't wait for the Olympics!!

80. I rarely watch TV.

81. I love to watch movies.

82. I don't get a lot of choice in what we watch because Ken will only watch a girl movie once a decade, so mostly it's action or comedies.

83. I can't stand stupid humor.

84. I do not laugh easily. (My sister says she and I are humor-impaired)

85. I am able to laugh a lot with my friends though.

86. I am a Latter-Day Saint.

87. And Proud Of It!

88. I have a deeply patriotic soul.

89. I formed a children's singing group two summers ago and called them, "the Little Patriots".

90. I have a HORRIBLE memory.

91. But I do recognize faces well.

92. I am not afraid to ask for help when I need it.

93. I like to see my children doing what they love.

94. I have lost some of my competitiveness over the years. It could be the meds. :)

95. Sleeping is one of my favorite pastimes.

96. I do not enjoy cooking, but I do it.

97. I feel guilty for feeding my children cold cereal for breakfast nearly every morning.

98. I am perpetually late.

99. I enjoy folding laundry, but HATE putting it away.

100. I am a people person.

101. I enjoy traveling with Ken.

102. I have a great family, the one I was born into, the one I married into, and the one I've helped create.

103. I consider myself extremely blessed.

104. I am 6' tall in shoes.

105. I have very wonderful and patient friends and family who will actually read 105 random facts about me!

2 comments:

Laura said...

And even friends who've only met you once and think you're fascinating will read each and every one!! : )

Julie Dyal said...

You took me up on it!! I loved reading your list, Miriam and learned a lot about you. These lists are so fun, you always learn something interesting, although I wasn't surprised that 1/4 of the list was about sports. I loved hearing all your nicknames... We always called you Mir or Mirs at Ricks. Love and miss you!!